Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Shrinkage (Stretching experience)

When I wash my hair my curls are elongated and relaxed.  I would like for my hair to stay that way, but it is too much like right!!!
My hair shrinks about 50% of its length from wet to dry.
Currently, I am trying to stretch my hair.  I've been doing some research and I have found some different suggestions and recipes to help stretch my spirals.


There are a few forms that I found that has been suggested to help stretch naturally curly hair.
1.  Using a form of lactic acid (milk, sour cream, yogurt)
2. Twist and wash
3. Wash and twist
4. Blow Dry roots
so on and so on...

Because I do not add heat to my  hair often #4 is out of the question to stretch my tresses on a daily basis.

1 day after

before
I am using a product by Mizani called Moisture Stretch that does an ok job of stretching my hair a bit more than it would do on its own.
In the picture above I used milk to stretch my hair after co-washing with Tresemme naturals conditioner (I love it because of the natural ingredients and it is CHEAP for a large quantity) and Kinky Curly Knot Today (one of my ABSOLUTE fav products for detangling and easy management) as a leave in. I applied Fruit of the Earth Aloe Vera gel (to moisturize) and my homemade oil (coconut, evoo, Vitamin E, and castor oils) to seal and Moisture Stretch (to stretch and define curls).  After applying my products I two-strand twisted (about 8), coiled and secured them with bobby pins to dry overnight. I sleep with a satin pillow case and a satin bonnet (when my hair is wet).  In the morning when my hair is ALMOST dry, I apply Shea Moisture Smoothie to my hair and finger through the twist.

Results:
I did get more stretch out of my hair after twisting but I do not like the end result.  My curls are matted and less defined after doing the twist on my hair.  I don't think I will use the twisting while dry technique anymore. Nevertheless, my curly for turned out REALLY pretty but eventually shrunk up because it was not completely dry when I took the twist down. (I may need to sit under the dryer for about 15-20 min. before going to bed.)  I got tons of compliments on yesterday (even from male students, they don't tend to compliment on my hair) and request for what I use and how I get my hair to look like this. :)

What's Next:  I am going to try the milk with the twist and wash technique...
UPDATE (9/28/11):  So, I tried the milk...
Immediately after co-washing and applying milk, aloe vera, homemade oil, and Moisture Stretch (It feels sooooo good!!!)

About 2 hours after... My hair is STILL damp!! SMH!! Still feels great though!

Day 2- I put Mizani Supreme Oil (smells AWESOME) and Shea Moisture Smoothie to define curls.  My hair still feels sooooo gooooood! lol :) I can't keep my hands out of it! EcoStyle Olive Oil gel to smooth my edges for my updo.

10/31/11-  I decided to try the dry stretching techniques since the other ones have not worked out so well for me.  I double strand-flat twisted my hair and rolled on the ends with rods and allowed it to dry for a little over a day.  This style gave me some length but when I sweat (in my head 1st) it causes my hair to draw up and become bushy...

11/21/11- I washed my hair with the flat twist still in my hair and allowed it to dry.
OMG!! Between stretching and using that WILD GROWTH HAIR OIL and adopting the "hands-off" approach, my hair is REALLY growing and I get so many questions about what I'm doing and compliments about how my hair is growing!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment